What is it? That is a fully functional Razor E300 electric scooter. I bought it with the intention of making it even MORE functional.
I was looking at Cambridge and Boston now. A larger campus with more bumps of sorts from historical sidewalks and roads. I was planning some seriously legit mods to Razor Reloaded (another scooter you dont know about) but opted for the premade sturdy steel frame foreseeing a busy time ahead of me for the final few weeks of the semester.
So what was the plan?
- new motor
- new batteries
- proportional control
- big switch
- power consumption feedback
- new controller
- LEDs everywhere
I had bought a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 6374-149 awhile back and decided it would be my motor choice.
After removing the old components, a motor mount was fashioned quickly from some 3/8" 7075 plate on the waterjet.
I had initially picked the Jasontroller as my brushless controller because my other graduating friend was selling his old equipment. Here is a unmodified no-load test from a bench top power supply.
The battery was comprised from generous donations from A123. This 8s3p pack shown below was bridged using copper mesh instead of copper braiding. I figured the equivalent copper cross section couldnt be any worse than the 12ga wire exiting the pack.
Completed and bundled. Yes, that is a DE9 female connector being used as a balance plug. It works wonderfully.
By this time I started riding it about campus. It did not have a main switch (on order from RMP) nor did it have a top plate. Regardless, it was hella fun.
Then came the top plate. Attempting to bend polycarbonate with a 40W heatgun...
...failing to bend polycarbonate with a heatgun.