So by popular demand, the project is renamed "HÄRDBÖRD". I second this change because I did not much like calling it Fluffy, being not fluffy but still incredibly adorable. All previous references to Fluffy former will be updated to HÄRDBÖRD. I need a better way to inserting Umlauts into text...
Onto the interesting stuff:
Had another massive build session last night at the Invention Studio. This one pretty much wrapped up the mechanical aspects of the board. Safe to say, it is drivable by method of kick.
Last build session I had the board almost drivable except for the turnigymotors which were plain can. Yeah, not going to rough up that beautiful Chinese machining for some unenjoyable joyriding. So first operation of the evening was coring out some wheels.
Here is the invention studio baby-lathe in the back corner of the other room. A bunch of really cool automated machines sit here, but only 4 of them belong to us (CNC not included). Still this lathe is pretty sweet, because it can do the whole threading trick. Other than the standard lathe functions (gear ratios, digital readout, etc.) it has an auto jog. Woot.
Mounting the wheel to the chuck was an interesting task because the jaws were not exactly large enough to handle the object. I had to resort to the inner set of teeth and crank really hard into the soft 30A durometer wheel tread... Sounds like a terrible idea.
But it came out pretty awesome. Wheel, cored ring-o-wheel, motor can, and motor core all in one picture. A perfect slide-press fit too (with the exception of the screw heads)!
Partway through, I realized we would have to push an extra .25" deep so we could access the screw heads on the near side bearing of the motor. For this, we employed a random piece of scrap. And Arrrrrrborrrrrrrrr presssssss.
Bam, wheelmotor...and then there were two.
Two motors one truck?
While Xo assembled his stuff, I made a few laps around the MRDC on the board. Verdict: it works but with corrections that need to be addressed.
The springs are too soft. While the truck turning geometry is fine, the springs used to give resistance to the turns are too soft which makes the board very... "responsive". It is far too easy to over turn and drive some retarded sinusoidal board path. This probably means some design correction is in store. When I say probably, I mean definitely.
A very important but final modification to this build session was the shortening of the power pack. The stock 4Ah, 6s1p lithium batteries I purchased were 39mm tall (~1.5" +4mm) which is taller than I would have liked it. The goals for this now are to fit everything underneath the 1" square 8020 piece, which might be just impossible depending on how tall the out pins on the Maxons are. Eitherway, introducing longpack.
..and oh yes, it is very long. (163 x 2)mm long, which is over 1 foot of POWER.
IT IS A 4 AMP FOOTLONG!!!