Late Friday night, looking to build. Waterjet is under its scheduled maintenance, so I elected to roll on over to the lathe for some quality turning time.
Feeling too frugal to purchase a large piece of Aluminum round, I pulled out a 1.25" dia round of 6061 from my scraps. Slightly less than 32mm. Shouldn't affect the system too much. I may add some anti-static tape to fill the gaps if necessary.
Post-Turn part. Drilled through with a 7/32" and tapped to 1/4-20. Chamfers with whatever degree I could find were made on outer edges. I was surprised to find a beautiful mirror-like sheen for the finish. Too bad that won't last long.
As illustrated in the model in a previous post, the ball bearing goes over that extrusion.
Next time when I finish prepping the waterjet, Ill cut the endcaps and the magnet can.
Speaking of magnet can, I elected to make a small design change in favor of using more (than one) of the 25ct bag of 2mm roll pins I bought. So here we have 7 additional 2mm holes through the magnet can rings as alignment devices.
I will probably partially press the rings together, add a gratuitous amount of superglue and press the entire assembly together. Should be solid. This part should NEVER BE SEPARATED!
Already I am beginning to find some slight design oversights. A 1/2" shaft with a 1/4-20 tap was a poor decision because that leaves very little room for wires to exit. Think of it as a 1/2" tube with 1/8" wall. My options are to make flats on three sides of the shaft or increase wire gauge. I am favoring the latter because cable organization would be far easier. I should be within reasonable current ratings in normal scenarios.